Town of Sterling, MA. 2007 – 2014
Town Administrator. Population 8,000. $21 million budget. Accomplishments:
- Balanced budget every year with no override and no layoffs; Maintained and grew reserves; Added budget info and graphics to Town Meeting warrant.
- Established Town’s first employee performance review system.
- Spearheaded creation and implementation of new Town website.
- Initiated and facilitated Selectmen’s annual goal setting session. Developed Action Plan to implement goal tasks; 60% of tasks were completed.
- Instituted regular Dept. Head staff meetings and All-Boards Meetings.
Human Rights Education Associates, Concord, MA. 2005-2007
Financial and Administrative Consultant
- Managed financial database and related tracking systems.
- Prepared budgets and financial reports using QuickBooks.
- Recommended administrative, personnel, and contract management procedures.
- Coordinated and assisted with grant proposals.
Town of Braintree, MA. 2000 – 2005
Town Administrator, $85 million budget. Accomplishments include:
- Resolved $6.7 million deficit without an override, utilizing impact bargaining, service cuts, hiring/spending freeze, and new user fees.
- Developed and successfully implemented new solid waste collection program.
- Initiated and facilitated Selectmen’s annual goal setting session. Developed Action Plan to implement goal tasks; 66% of tasks were completed.
- Managed Town’s first successful multi-year road construction program.
- Created and obtained funding for new Finance Director position.
- Instituted Dept. Head staff meetings and High Performance Team Building.
- Implemented new Department of Public Works and DEP Admin. Consent Order.
Town of Sudbury, MA.
1997-2000: Assistant Town Manager
1988-1996: Budget and Personnel Officer
1986-1988: Budget Analyst
Assistant Town Manager for 210 employees in 20 departments. Developed and managed $40 million budget. Served as Acting Town Manager. Made recommendations to Finance Committee and Selectmen. Accomplishments include:
- Saved several hundred thousand dollars in Town’s insurance costs.
- Reorganized to successfully create Town’s first Department of Public Works.
- Negotiated 4 % Union concession, saving $1,000,000 in payroll per year.
- Developed first Employee Handbook for a municipality in Massachusetts.
- Designed and built Town’s first computerized employee database.
- Developed 10-year historical report for budget monitoring.
- Participated in several successful overrides and debt exclusions.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Division of Administration & Finance, 1985-86.
Commonwealth of Mass., Research Associate, Board of Regents Higher Ed., 1985.
Harvard University, Assistant to Director, Instructional Research/Eval., 1979-83.
Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government: Masters of Public Policy.
University of Illinois: M.S., Biology.
Tufts University: B.S. (Cum Laude), Psychology.
PROFESSIONAL and VOLUNTEER AFFILIATIONS
Community Preservation Committee, Town of Concord, MA, 2017-Present.
Finance Committee, Town of Concord, MA, 2005-2008 and 2014-2017.
Conantum KWC Board of Directors, 2015-Present.
Communities for Restorative Justice, Green Team, 2013-Present.
Domestic Violence Service Network, Volunteer Advocate, 2013-Present.
Concord Land Conservation Trust, Volunteer Photographer, 2016-Present.
Sterling Lancaster Cable TV Community Service Award, 2013.
Sudbury Valley Trustees, Volunteer Photographer, 2014-Present.
Concord Carlisle Television, Host and Producer of “Who Cares?!”, 2006-2008.
Concord Carlisle Community Chest, Allocation Committee, 2006.
ICMA Credentialed Manager 2003-2014.
Massachusetts Municipal Managers Association 1986-2014.